Last Updated on February 20, 2021.
An emulator, such as Anbox Android Emulator for Linux, is a software program which makes your computer system behave like another computer system. Is this definition of emulator complex enough?
In simple way, an emulator software program when installed on your PC Windows might allows it to behave like a Linux or like a Mac computer system. Or, in layman terms, with an emulator you can install and run your favourite Linux or Android apps on your Windows PC or vice versa.
For example:- Below is an image of a Windows 10 operating system running inside the Mac operating system on a Macbook using Parallels Emulator.
The following video explains Emulators and Emulation in detail:-
There are many free and paid Android Emulators such as Anbox Android Emulator, Genymotion, Bluestacks, KoPLayer, NOXPlayer, etc which you can install on your Windows 10, 8, 7 PC, Linux, and Macbook to run and play Android-based mobile apps and mobile games, respectively, on your PC, Linux, and Mac laptops and desktops.
There are multiple benefits of using Android Emulators to play Android based mobile games on your PC such as:-
- An Android Emulator such as FREE Anbox Android Emulator for Linux to play games gives you a bigger screen to play mobile games on PC Ubuntu Linux
- Playing Android games on your laptop and desktop by using an Android Emulator such as Anbox, Genymotion, Bluestacks helps you save your mobile phone’s battery from overheating, caused by playing latest advanced mobile games such as PUBG etc on your mobile device, thus extending its life
- By using an Android Emulator for PC Windows, Linux, and Mac you can play multiple games, within multiple gaming accounts, at the same time on your Laptop and Desktop
- With an Android Emulator for PC you can play high-end mobile games on your PC Windows 10, 8, 7, Linux, and Mac if your mobile phone is not advanced or high-end
- Using a FREE or paid Android Emulator you get access not only to a variety of mobile games but to the all mobile apps which are available exclusively to mobile phones such as Instagram, Snapchat, Tiktok, CCTV management apps etc.
There are many free and paid Android Emulators such as Bluestacks 4 and Genymotion, respectively, available for you to download and install on your laptop and desktop to use and play both android apps and games respectively, however, the best 5 top Android Emulators for PC Windows, Linux, and Mac are as below:-
For Linux machines there are many Android Emulators available such as Genymotion, Shashilik, Andy OS, Android Studio etc, however, the best FREE Android Emulator for Linux is Anbox Android Emulator.
What is Anbox Android Emulator?
According to the Anbox website, Anbox Android Emulator (Android in a Box) works by running the Android runtime environment in an LXC container, recreating the directory structure of Android as a mountable loop image, while using the native Linux kernel to execute applications.
Anbox is the best emulator for Linux based operating systems such as Ubuntu, Fedora, PopOS!, Suse, etc in 2020 and beyond.
The key features of using Anbox over the other Android Emulators for Linux are security, performance, integration, and convergence.
Why Anbox Android Emulator is best FREE Android Emulator for Linux?
Each Android application or game when launched using Anbox Android Emulator gets launched in its own separate window, just like host operating system applications, and these mobile apps and games behave more or less like regular windows, showing up in the launcher, can be tiled, etc.
What are the benefits of Anbox Android Emulator over others?
Can I play mobile Games using Anbox Android Emulator?
You can play the compatible Android games using Anbox because as of 2020 not all the Android or mobile games are compatible with Anbox Android Emulator.
Following is the video demonstrating about the gaming capabilities of Anbox:-
How can I install Anbox Android Emulator on my Linux machine?
Anbox Android Emulator can be installed on any Linux based operating systems such as Ubuntu, Fedora, PopOS! etc but here is this article I will talk about installing Anbox on Ubuntu 20.04.
Anbox can be installed either by using snaps or apt. I do not prefer any single method out of the two thus use both to install different software packages as not all the packages are on the snap server. However, I will use snap to download and install FREE Anbox Android Emulator on Linux Ubuntu.
All the instructions below are also given on the official documentation website of Anbox Android Emulator.
- Install the necessary kernel modules – “
a) ashmem b) binder“.
- Install the Anbox snap – “
sudo snap install --devmode --beta anbox“
- Install other Kernel modules – “
a) linux-headers-generic b) anbox-modules-dkms“
- Manually load the kernel modules – “
a) sudo modprobe ashmem_linux b) sudo modprobe binder_linux“
- Install ADB (Android Debugger) to install Android Apps and Games within Anbox Android Emulator – “
sudo apt install android-tools-adb“
- Once ADB is installed you can download your favorite Android games and apps from the APKMirror website and install inside Anbox using – “
adb install app-name.apk“
- After your favorite android games and apps are installed inside Anbox Android Emulator for Linux then you can open Anbox using the command on your Linux terminal – “