Before we move forward with FREE Genymotion Android Emulator let us learn a little bit about emulators first.
What is an Emulator?
Emulator is a computer system aka desktop software which can be installed on your PC Windows, Linux, and Mac to allow it behave like an another computer system. In layman terms, you can install and run Linux or Android apps on your Windows PC or vice versa.
Similarly, you can install FREE Genymotion Android Emulator and other Android Emulators such as Bluestacks, Anbox, KOPLayer, NOXPlayer etc on your Windows 10, 8, 7 PC, Linux, and Macbook to download, install, and run both FREE and Paid mobile apps and mobile games on your PC, Linux, and Mac laptop and desktops.
What is an Android Emulator?
Simply, an Android Emulator is a software program which you can install on your Laptop or Desktop to download, install, and run Android based mobile apps and mobile games on PC Windows 10, 8, 7, Linux and Mac.
What are the benefits of using Android Emulators?
- Android Emulators such as FREE Genymotion Android Emulator gives you a bigger screen to use mobile apps and to play mobile games
- Use Android Emulators such as FREE Genymotion Android Emulator, Bluestacks 4 etc to save your mobile phone’s battery and extend its life because extensive gaming on small devices may heat them up faster than PC, Linux, Mac laptops and desktops
- Android Emulators allow you to play multiple games, within multiple gaming accounts, at the same time
- Play high-end mobile games on PC Windows 10, 8, 7, Linux, and Mac if your mobile phone is not advanced or high-end
- Using FREE and paid Android Emulators you get access not only to games but to the all mobile apps which are available exclusively to mobile phones such as Instagram, Snapchat, Tiktok, CCTV management apps etc.
How many Android Emulators are available?
There are 15+ FREE and Paid Android Emulators are available on the internet for you to download and play mobile games on your PC. Obviously, playing mobile games on bigger screens is awesome. Following are top 10 Android Emulators:-
- Bluestacks 4
- FREE Genymotion Android Emulator
- Nox App Player
- Andy OS Android Emulator
- Remix OS Player
- Android Studio
- Andro VM
- Bliss OS
Which is the best Android Emulator?
For Linux machines there are many Android Emulators available such as Anbox, Shashilik, Andy OS, Android Studio etc, however, the best Android Emulator for Linux is FREE Genymotion Android Emulator.
What is FREE Genymotion Android Emulator?
Genymotion is a popular cross platform Android emulator. It runs on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows. It’s a great tool to install or play your favourite Android games on PC. For developers and QA engineers, it can be used to test the applications.
GenyMotion Android Emulator is one of the most stable Android virtual machines which helps in testing and debugging the android operating system based mobile apps and mobile games. GenyMotion Desktop is third-party programs that come with Android virtualization to test the Android mobile apps.
However there are other Android virtual machines available in the market that offer app testing such as Android Virtual Device Manager but GenyMotion has many advantages over all the others.
Big thanks to the Open GApps team, because as of version 2.10 and higher, Genymotion comes with a 1-click installer for Google Applications, including Google Play Store.
System Requirements for FREE Genymotion Android Emulator
- Ubuntu – 64bit
- Debian 9 (Stretch)
- Fedora 30 – 64bit
- 64 bit CPU, with VT-x or AMD-V/SVM capability enabled in BIOS settings
- Hardware accelerated GPU
- 400 MB disk space
- 4GB of RAM
- Oracle VM VirtualBox
Types of Genymotion Android Emulator
Other than Genymotion Desktop which can be used for both FREE (personal) and commercial use there are 2 other versions (types) of Genymotion Android Emulator:-
- Genymotion SaaS
- Genymotion PaaS
To play android based mobile games you need Genymotion Desktop Android Emulator which comes in 2 variants – FREE and Paid.
- FREE Genymotion Android Emulator license allows you to use Genymotion for educational and entertainment purposes only. Which means, if you want to either learn how to develop android based mobile apps and mobile games, or you want to play android based mobile games then FREE Genymotion Android Emulator Desktop license can be used.
- Paid Genymotion license caters professional android developers building android apps and games for commercial purposes.
How to download and install FREE Genymotion Android Emulator?
Genymotion Android Emulator Desktop version can be download for FREE for personal use from Genymotion’s download page on its official website.
Genymotion needs Virtualbox to be installed on your computer because Genymotion Desktop relies on the use of Oracle VM VirtualBox in the background to virtualize Android operating systems.
The installation .exe file, of FREE Genymotion Android Emulator, for Windows 10, 8, 7 comes with and without Virtualbox package, however, for Linux and Mac computers you need to install Virtualbox separately.
How to register FREE Genymotion Android Emulator License?
To use Genymotion for both personal and commercial usage you need to register its license. By registering license means you just need to goto Genymotion’s website and sign up to create a user account. Once, you have successfully created a user account then you can simply download Genymotion’s installer and install it on your computer if you haven’t do so yet.
Once Genymotion is installed on your computer then run it for the first time and it will ask for your user account, created above, to sign in with.
You can use FREE Genymotion Android Emulator as long as you don’t use it for any commercial use, which means you can use Genymotion for FREE to play android based mobile games and to use android based mobile apps.
Can I use FREE Genymotion Android Emulator on Linux?
Yes, Genymotion can be successfully downloaded and installed on Linux based operating systems such as Ubuntu etc.
Below video explains how to install Genymotion on Ubuntu, and its based distributions like Linux Mint, Elementary, Pop!_OS, Zorin, and etc.
There is a another guide on how to install FREE Genymotion Android Emulator on Linux:-
Genymotion vs Bluestacks
Bluestacks is the best Android Emulator for Windows PC 10, 8, 7, and Mac. But, Bluestacks is not available for Linux users thus Linux users need some other alternative. FREE Genymotion Android Emulator is the best alternative, along with Anbox, to Bluestacks 4 for Linux users.