Last Updated on November 19, 2020.
What is an Android Emulator?
Different Android Emulators are compatible with different operating systems.
For example – Bluestacks Android Emulator is compatible only with Windows 10/8/7 PC, and Mac. MEmu Play is compatible only with Windows 10/8/7 PC. Anbox is compatible only with Linux based distros (operating systems) such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, etc.
Installing both Android apps and games in different operating systems such as Windows, macOS, and Linux can be done using an Android Emulator as mentioned above.
Bluestacks is one of the best android emulators nowadays. The emulator has achieved enormous popularity with the speed of lightning. But you can even use any other android emulator of your own choice. There are many android emulators present for windows, search one of them, and install it.
Steps to download Bluestacks 4 Android Emulator on Windows:-
- Download the Android Emulator on your PC.
- Double-tap on the downloaded Emulator’s .exe file and install the app in your operating system (Windows).
- Launch the Emulator and log in with your account or else sign up.
- After the Emulator has launched successfully, you will find a Play Store on it.
- Once the application (Google Play Store) has opened a search for your Android app or game. After searching for the app click on it and the install option will appear.
- Now click on the install button and wait till your Android app or game is being installed. After the installation is complete, the icon of your Android app or game will appear on the home screen or within the applications folder of the Bluestacks Android Emulator.
Similar to windows, there are many android emulators, such as KoPlayer, etc, present for downloading apps in Macbook. Bluestacks is available for both Windows and Macbook so you can use the android emulator as well.
You can find out more android emulators for Macbook from search engines and download any of your own choices. But, here in this article, we will use Bluestacks 4 to download, install, and run Android games and apps on Mac.
Steps to download Bluestacks 4 Android Emulator on macOS:-
- Firstly, download and install the Android Emulator for Macbook on your PC. Installation is done in the same process which is for Windows.
- The Android Emulator icon will be visible on the desktop screen. To open the Emulator double click on the icon.
- Once the Android Emulator window is open, you will see the Google Play Store icon. Click on it to launch the Google Play Store app within your Emulator.
- At the top of your Bluestacks Emulator window, you will find an option of searching. Click on it and write the name of the Android app or game you want to download, install, and run on your Macbook. The result will be ready on the screen.
- Enter your Google account credentials. Without Google account credentials you cannot use the Play Store.
- After successfully entering everything the page will redirect you to the installation page. Click on the install button.
- After installation, you will find your Android app or game on either the Emulator’s home page or inside the application folder.
Linux has different android emulators which are compatible with it as Bluestacks, MEmu, and many other top Android Emulators for PC don’t work on Linux based operating systems. However, there are many Android Emulators for Linux such as Genymotion, Anbox, Android-x86, etc. Any of these can help you to download, install, and run android applications and games in Linux.
I personally prefer Anbox as it makes Android app windows merge with Linux windows giving me the same look and feel of both Linux and Android apps.
Steps to download Anbox Android Emulator on Linux:-
All the instructions below are also given on the official documentation website of Anbox Android Emulator.
- Install the necessary kernel modules – “
a) ashmem b) binder“.
- Install the Anbox snap – “
sudo snap install – devmode – beta anbox“
- Install other Kernel modules – “
a) linux-headers-generic b) anbox-modules-dkms“
- Manually load the kernel modules – “
a) sudo modprobe ashmem_linux b) sudo modprobe binder_linux“
- Install ADB (Android Debugger) to install Android Apps and Games within Anbox Android Emulator – “
sudo apt install android-tools-adb“
- Once ADB is installed you can download your favorite Android games and apps from the APKMirror website and install inside Anbox using – “
adb install app-name.apk“
- After your favorite android games and apps are installed inside Anbox Android Emulator for Linux then you can open Anbox using the command on your Linux terminal – “